Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Simply Thick

What has no taste, doesn't wiggle or jiggle and is colorless all over??
Here is the packet of Simply Thick we use daily to thicken Sloane's JU. 

This is its thickness. I would say that the honey consistency is similar not only to honey, but also mayonnaise. 

Once Sloane's JU is poured, I squeeze one packet of Simply Thick into it and shake it up!! 

Sloane started 5oz. of liquid to one packet of Simply Thick yesterday. It seems to be going well. NO visible signs of aspiration. Which is awesome!! 

Usually, Sloane has her JU in the afternoon in a one shot sitting but the past 2 days I have decided to pour her a cup in the mid-am and let her sip all day long.  A little more normal than forcing Sloane to drink 5 oz. in an hour time-frame. 

Sounds like a plan, right?? Except, who wants to drink warm juice. Truly, no one wants to drink warm anything?? Liquids as far as I am concerned should be iced, chilled, or hot!! I hadn't given this much thought until the aunties mentioned it to me today while they had the little lady all to themselves. The question was can I add ice to the JU??? I assume no because it would water the consistency down. Before, I could ponder this problem a bit. We can't simply pour a new cup of JU all day long. Simply Thick isn't free!! Sloane's auntie, who is a mom herself, opens her freezer and then plops a fake plastic ice cube in Sloane's sippy cup. Problem Solved!!!

Having many of my dear friends become moms before I did have been GREAT!! Many of the smallest issues, problems, dilemmas and questions I have are solved before I can obsess about them. Would I have thought about a fake plastic cube to keep Sloane's JU chilled, sure I would have...someday!! Certainly, not immediately!
When you are a mom of a child with a medical need, that medical need can overtake all aspects of your parenting. Even the simplest normal parenting questions can't be solved easily....that's where the circle of trust jumps in!!


No comments:

Post a Comment