Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Blog, Baby, Blog

Blogging was something on my back burner for months and then today happened. It was a normal morning that quickly turned a crisp white vest into a mirage of food stains. When I looked down and saw blueberries smeared all over the front on me i thought....blog, baby, blog. 

I am a stay at home mom of an amazing 18 month old little girl. She keeps me and my hubby very busy. I like to say she crashed into our world on July 20, 2010 and has taken over by storm. My life, as most stay at home moms, revolves around Sloane Jacqueline..... and her teeny tiny humongous nuisance of a birth defect called a laryngeal cleft. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laryngeal_cleft

My mil suggested blogging over a year ago but I thought who wants to listen to my rants??? And then a friend months ago encouraged me to give it a try. It wasn't until this past Sunday that I mentioned it to my hubby. I was unclear what journey the blog would take but then this morning's blueberries happened. So here I am: blogging about me, momma life, married life, and of course ironically my blueberry, as we used to call her.

A Sip of Heaven is really Sloane's journey...from sip to gulp to swallow...and how she is heavenly loving and heaven to love.

The story of Sloane's crash landing will be in another post. It has taken 18 long months to get to where we are. Now, I know 18 months is not much time in a lifetime but when you are living 18 months out by sip to sip it can feel like an eternity. 

We are a family of 3 (if you dont count the voices in my head) supported by the best circle of trust ever! lol We have wonderful families/friends who have supported us through this pesty laryngeal cleft. We began as a group who said: a what? a laryngeal cleft? what is that? Imagine how many goggle searches were done on that day...August 2, 2010. 

Don't get me wrong, I know and I am THANKFUL everyday that we are blessed to have a healthy child but there are days when I do stop and think...are you kidding me??? I am really plugging my child into her liquids thru a g-tube?? Is this real??? And yes folks, it is. My baby: 
the one I waited years for, 
the one we did IVM for, 
the one I ate organically for while pregnant,
the one that I was dying to breast feed, 
the one that turned this motherless daughter into a mother of a daughter, 
the one that surpasses every dream I ever had of being a mom...
has a g-tube and is plugged in 4 times a day for liquids. The truth is as my friends like to say "she is perfect; she just drinks differently" which is very true but realistically Sloane does have a birth defect that has left her with a part of her body not perfect at all. We were reminded of this when we gave Sloane a tiny sip of water tonight (that is a big no-no right now) and she choked until she turned color...ugh!! the pesty cleft is still here!! as if its going to magically disappear....silly mommy!!

And so the blogging begins!! My hubby just gave me the thumbs up to this post so we are off!! I now realize that my mil was right (not something I like to admit on a daily basis even though I love her to pieces). I do have a lot to let out from deep. Won't my therapist be proud!! lol

4 comments:

  1. looks like you're off to a good start!

    sometimes those pesky mothers-in-laws are right. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOve the post, look forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you invited me to join in. Carrie Bradshaw has left the building and Sloane's mommy has emerged.

    ReplyDelete