Thursday, April 19, 2012

Blob~licious

When I was younger, I had a secret crush on Cool Whip. I loved a dollop of it on sweet desserts. Which is odd to think of right now, because I do not have a sweet tooth at all at this age. I am much more of a foodie!! Anyhow, my brother detested Cool Whip. He went as far as to put it in the microwave to show me what it melted down to.....pure oil. His science experiment I had an effect on me, but not enough to keep me away completely. As a matter of fact as a side note, a dollop of cool whip between 2 chocolate graham crackers popped into the freezer is a delicious low cal frozen treat!! 


Back to my science lesson, I thought about my brother's experiment this am when I saw the glass I used for my past post filled with the Simply Thick. It hadn't moved at all. The Simply Thick was still a blob at the bottom of the glass..looking like sludge....not exactly blob~licious!! I have to say this had more of an effect on me that the old Cool Whip trick. Sorry, brother bear!!! I keep thinking about what the Simply Thick forms into in Sloane's belly. The thoughts actually made me sick to mine.


Sloane is a great eater and we try to give her nutritious and organic treats. Yet, everyday, we are adding very interesting substances (Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate) to her body with no real idea what their effects are. I am clear that at this point there are no other options given the issue of aspiration, but Simply Thick wasn't exactly in our plan. I actually fought the idea of adding it to liquids for well over a year. We tried to thicken many other ways, but we did not have as much success peaking Sloane's interest in the liquid.  As my brother says: we make plans and the big guy laughs!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment