Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Tubeless Afternoon

We had a family commitment today and it was decided that we would go tubeless!! YA-fucking-WHOO!! Not exactly as exciting as going topless for some, but for us, it was relaxation in its purest form. We were with our family and friends and there wasn't one on edge moment. Why? because the tube stayed tucked away in Sloane's travel bag for the day. We fed her, hugged her and played all day without a moment of intensity between myself and husband. The tube creates high alert btw us when it is on the job. There is always the fear that it will get tugged on or that Sloane will grow completely aggravated because everyone else is having fun and she is chained to a highchair for too many minutes, or that its appearance sends a message that the fun games are over. I have sarcastically joked before "its all normal until the feeding tube arrives!".  Now, tubeless days do not come too often. So when they do arrive we soak up every minute. After Sloane was tucked into her car seat for our ride home, my husband looked at me and "what a nice day. fantastic food." And I said, "it was so fun." Neither of us mentioned that the tube was missing because we didn't need to. We know all to well what happens when the tube is powered up.

A day out on the town like today requires packages of wet ones. Remember my husband is a germaphob. I had never been one until Sloane arrived. Our 50 days in the NICU definitely educated us in germs and their non-existent place the in the world of a child with a medical need. I, in my past life, have at times been called a piglet by my friends. I don't exactly have a need/want to obsess about cleanliness. Sloane's aunties are OCD about cleaning. I think they need interventions or at least therapy!!! We do have a clean house but we don't scrub our floors or the fronts of our kitchen cabinets daily. Or at least I don't!!! Ha

Nevertheless at this point, we should buy stock in wet ones. I am not sure how Sloane still has skin on her hands??? My husband has been known to not let our family members into our house if they are sick. It sounds crazy to many but the fact is: why would we expose our child to germs if we don't have to?? She encounters them daily through our travels, play dates and doctor's appointments.  My hubby and I are educated and know that there a factual downside to being over the top about germs. Our families have tried to counsel us on our No Germs Allowed Policy. Unfortunately, at this point, we have no other option. Sloane can not get a cold or a respiratory infection. Her lungs are already compromised because of her aspirations. This factual information was told to us, not by the mailman or the butcher, but by the pulmonologist that Sloane sees. So we figure that's a reliable source!?!?!?! Sloane has been sick and her immune system has kicked the shit our of the viruses she has contracted. Another blessing to add to her huge appetite, mouthful or teeth....a strong immune system.

Today was a day for wet ones and what did the momma do? I forgot them!! Of all the things to forget???? I didn't forget Sloane's change of clothes which happened to be a cute valentine outfit. I didn't forget the treats she had for her valentines. I didn't forget my cell phone. Those things were unnecessary and I could have forgotten. Instead,  I forgot the wet ones. HONESTLY!!!!!!! How could I? What did I do? I called one of the OCD cleanliness aunties... and she brought me some!!!! "I am no dope", as poppie says.

No comments:

Post a Comment