Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Blow Heard Around The Room

My hubby and I have an agreement in our house it is: whatever is said between 11pm and 6am doesn't count!! Why? Because those are the sleeping hours and sleep is a hot topic in our home. Years ago...sex was the hot topic among friends....who was getting it, when were they getting it, where were they getting it. Now as new parents, sleep is the hot topic among our friends!! As I said in an earlier post, my child has been and is a very good sleeper. 80% of the time, she goes down around 8pm and there isn't a peep until 5:30. At that point, I bring her in bed, while my hubby heads to the couch for his last 30 mins of sleep, and nestle her into my arms for another hour or so!! The best moments of my life..dreamy!!! As a disclaimer, we do not kick my hubby out of bed. As noted earlier (post:Daaaaddddyyyyy), my daughter can not get enough of her daddy so if she sees him during a drowsy time it immediately becomes play time. He wants to leave the bed so he can have a few more minutes of rest. 


We have had our nights of crying every 15 minutes but we battled thru them. Because Sloane has been sleeping well, when she does have a difficult night...the boxing gloves come out btw the both of us! It could be a soaked thru diaper, a tooth, reflux, bad dream, separation anxiety, over-tiredness or plain old screams of I want out of this shit-hole!! Whatever the reason, we do have nights that are less than peaceful.  I am more accepting of Sloane's sleep issues as I should be (or the public thinks I should be) because I am the stay at home mom. "You don't have to go to work." HAHAHAHA I love that one!!! I work harder with Sloane than I ever have in my life. Oprah was my hero when she asked a guest: do you work in the home or out of the home. That's right Oprah....you get it!!! I work in the home.


Anyway, nothing said between 11pm and 6am counts. And it is a good thing because it can get nasty. My hubby does not sleep or he is the lightest sleeper I know. I, on the other hand, am dead to the world. Sloane is kicking my ass most days so by bedtime I am a zombie. But I don't work so I have no freakin' idea why I am so tired??? My hubby, because he is nocturnal with a variety of nasal issues, hears everything before I do. Many nights/not all nights, he is up and out of bed on his way to Sloane's room by the time I sit up. For this, I take some heat and not body heat. HA There is usually a expletive and a huff and puff as he rounds the corner. I don't quite understand because if he waited 10 more seconds instead of being the perfect knight in shining armor I would "be the mama" and take care of the Sloane's situation. Instead he band aids the evening's sleep and comes back to bed with a few choice words which he decided should not count.


This morning at 5:45 the rule took root. Sloane woke up with a soaked thru diaper. I got up because I was already close to waking and awaiting her call out. After she was dressed in fresh pjs, we headed to momma's bed and snuggled in. My hubby got in the shower EARLIER than normal and proceeded to blow his nose many a time which caused my little angel to start yelling and screeching "daddy" with excitement. All I could do is think....the nose blow really?? 5 feet away from us when you know she is already awake??? really?? You know she is going to hear you, want you and attach herself to you like velcro when you are trying to leave for work!! really?? a nose blow?? And so the gloves came off! Thankfully, the aggravation on both sides because we BOTH did not want to start our work days hearing ""Daaadddddyyyyyyy"" only had 15 mins to heat up!!! 

2 comments:

  1. Hysterical!!!I love that rule.....never heard it....what rule can we make up for what is said the rest of the day????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghan (Brooklyn's Mom)March 16, 2012 at 2:09 PM

    I am absolutely DYING at this post. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete