Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Are You Stronger Than A 19 Month Old?

It is official! My daughter is stronger than I am. The binky/pacifier has been part of our life for just about 19 months. Once she was taking no liquids by mouth, we were told by the doctors to stick the binky in her mouth all day everyday. The thought was that she would develop her swallowing abilities because she wasn't swallowing anything other than her saliva. So the binky was a permanent feature much to the dismay of many.


 I had thought we would take it away at one year, but then we decided to wait for her next swallow study to have factual information on her progress since her cleft repair which was at 13 months. Once she aspirated on that swallow study, we held the binky close.... almost like a security blanket. It was then decided that she needed an MRI to see if her aspirations were neurological since her cleft was successfully closed.  My Go To Mommy (everyone needs one!!) suggested not to take the binky away seeing as though brain surgery may be in the future if there was a neuro issue. There wasn't a neuro issue. Thank the Heavens!!!!  


So somewhere around 15 months the binky should have been sent to the binky fairy. We had heard it all along the way: take it away before she starts asking for it, take it away before she names it, take it away she is too big for it, and it is going to mess up her palette and teeth alignment. Well we didn't. Why? because we didnt want to upset the apple cart.  One day, I was flipping through People mag and saw a pic of Sarah Jessica Parker's 2 1/2 year old daughter with a binky her mouth. That made me think...why should I take away Sloane's at 15 months when celebrities let their kids have them!!! LOL Yet another excuse!!!


What did I do instead of making it magically disappear? I took baby steps and weaned her off it. The binky was only around for nap time and bed time. Of course, there was the occasional boo boo or melt down that required the Save Me binky!!! 


Well this past week, I have noticed that Sloane has no interest in the binky. Not at nap time or bed time. I think my 19 month old is stronger than I am and has weaned herself off her binky. Could it be because she just got over the Hand, Foot, Mouth Virus (very fun...not) and had no interest in swallowing at all. Could it be that she has started to take a small amount of thickened liquid via a sippy cup a few times a week? Or could it be that she just knows, unlike me, that she is a BIG girl!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment