Saturday, June 30, 2012

Don't Let The Door Hit You

So here it is! On its way out the door!
The kangaroo pump and its accessories. 

Ironically, about 30 minutes before we arrived at Dr. K's office for the mickey button extraction, the medical supply company called to place Sloane's re-order for July. Telling the customer service rep that I would not need to replace an oder because my daughter's mickey button was being removed in 30 minutes was almost surreal. There were cheers from the customer service center. These are the people who I have talked with for almost 2 years about my child's needs. They, too, can understand the excitement we are feeling. 

Of course, having a child with a medical need is emotional. But there is a whole another end to having a child with a special medical need and that is the material stuff involved. In our home, in the past 22 months we have had all kinds of medical supplies. When we first arrived home from the NICU, I was so overwhelmed that I had one of the aunties organize the stuff in a labeled chest of drawers. I couldn't handle all the boxes, tubes, syringes, bags and unnecessary things that screamed "your kid has an issue" all over my house. Over time, the stuff has dissipated considerably but it is still here. 

I am very happy to be sending it all back! I posted months earlier about my hatred for the IV pole. Having an IV pole in your home, is beyond stomach turning. If it doesnt scream out sickness, I dont know what does. When I chatted with the medical supply company about returning everything, guess what they don't want back? guess what I own now? the fucking IV pole!! Can you stand it? Apparently, you buy it through insurance. Not rent it. He told me I can donate it as well as the over 100 feed bags I have and the extra mickey buttons. None of it can they take back or want back. A complete sin if you ask me. I am going to try to do some research on where to donate it, but if I cant find somewhere I basically begged the gentleman to take it all with him when he comes for the pump on July 12th. To which he agreed. I think simply to stop hear my rant and rave about how ridiculous it was that these things were going to go to waste!! I have a way of talking and talking about something I am passionate about until I get my way either out of agreement or simply surrender of the other party! Ha 

As for Sloane's mickey button site, it looks good. We have not seen any drainage. And as gross as this sounds, there is no smell of gastric juices. I assume the site has started to close on the inside. Tomorrow is the day that if all looks good, Sloane can get wet or have a tubby and maybe be down graded from the big gauze to small gauze. And then down to a band aid!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment