Monday, June 18, 2012

A Perfect Button


There it is! The infamous mickey button. Many people think it is located in or near the belly button, but as you can see it isn't. Not to repeat myself because I have said it in earlier blogs, but we had the BEST surgeon ever. Dr. K, at Hasbro, is an incredible doctor with a wonderful bedside manner. She was tremendously gentle with our daughter and our emotions. I am sure, if you dare to imagine, what it was like to hand over our 3 week old baby for surgery, you will understand how the surgeon becomes your hero at that moment.

Sloane's mickey button was not implanted at the time of her surgery. Some surgeons do put it in during surgery, but Dr. K uses a different approach. Sloane had a longer tube insert for 6 weeks before the mickey button was put in. This was done to insure that the track for the mickey button to slide into was perfectly formed. And it was!! Our time with the longer tubing was not fun at all! Having a 2 month old with 10 inches of tubing hanging out of her belly is somewhat of hazard. We were CONSTANTLY nervous that it would get caught on something and get torn out. We had a few close calls where it got tugged a centimeter here or there, but as time went on we would just slide it back into her stomach. It is amazing what you can do when you have to do it!! Sloane has the faintest scar in a perfect semi-circle above her belly button. That is where the incision was for the g tube surgery.

Sloane has been drinking. Last night could have been big fat disappointment but it wasnt. We had Father's Day dinner with my family. Now, going out to dinner with 2 children under the age of 2 is interesting. Because it was a special occasion, we werent at the most family friendly restaurant in our area. It was a bit more upscale. The girls were dressed in their Sunday best, we timed out the schedule down to the minute and the diaper bags were packed extras of everything. What did I forget though? You guessed it!! The sippy cup that was full with a fresh 8 ounces. Why? How? and Are You F-ing Kidding Me? were running thru my head so I am sure my hubby, mammie and poppie were thinking the same. A Mommy of the Year Moment!! NOT!!

But by some stroke of luck (although the drive back home would have only been 20 mins.), I remember that I stocked an emergency diaper bag for my hubby's car (which we drove in)and in it was an extra sippy cup and packets of Simply Thick. Hooray!! I redeemed myself although I was concerned because Sloane has only been drinking out of her favorite cup for weeks. As side note, Sloane dropped one of her favorite cups and broke it as we left the house yesterday morning. We were down to one favorite cup until this morning, when she dropped that one and now there are none!!!  Fabulous!!! NOT!!

Back to dinner, not only was I worried about Sloane not having her favorite cup, but she also has truly only been enjoying water flavored with strawberry/watermelon drops. Juice hasnt been tops on her list. No cup, no flavor drops for water, just hope! I order up a 1/2 cranberry 1/2 orange juice and hope for the best. Once it arrives on the table, Sloane squeaks out a "wow" and waits patiently for me to mix it in an unfamiliar sippy cup and then shake it up. I hand over the cup and guzzle is the word that comes to mind. Sloane tosses her head back and drinks all 8 oz. like she is never tasted anything as yummy before. Big Fat Disappointment. NOT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment