Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Too Much

I think the excitement of yesterday's news was too much for all of us to handle! It appears the 3 of us need some quiet time. LOL For my hubby and I that means  we can begin to dream of a vacation to a tropical location. We both werent able to even consider this while Sloane had her tube. Now that it is closed for business and may soon no longer be a family member...we are both beginning to dream of a time out! Sloane, on the other hand, needs an actual time out!

Yesterday was too much for her! I knew it this morning when I said to a friend "I don't think I am going to take her to music class; she is too tired." But instead of listening to my mother's intuition, I took her and it did not prove to be one of Sloane's stellar moments.

It all began well. She listened, she followed the directions and she had fun. Then the running began. While the other children sat and listened to a book. Sloane ran around the blanket without stopping. On and on and on. I knew it then. OVERTIRED!! And I should have wrangled her in, but instead I embraced her spirit and she eventually stopped. What happened next has made me cry for the 10th time in 24 hours. The other 9 times was tears of joy. This 10th time, I had tears of embarrassment and disappointment.

Sloane voluntarily pushed another little girl in class. 2 hands on the back. Big push. HORROR was the look on my face. I scooped her up with a big NO and ushered out of the classroom for a chat. She knew she was wrong and, too, shed a tear. We took a few minutes of quiet and headed back into the room. Sloane said she was sorry and we sat quietly for a minute. The play resumed and it all seemed okay until......I THINK Sloane pushed cuzzy. Although all the other adults in the room couldnt confirm, the look on her face showed me again she didnt something wrong. This time I scooped her up and we headed out the door with cries of "no momma, I dont want to!" I was beyond embarrassed. We came home in silence and 30 minutes later, mid-lunch, she collapsed into dream land.

I could have defended her to the other parents with statements like: you have no idea what my kid had to do yesterday while your child probably relaxed at home OR i am so sorry, my hubby and I have been so worried about a feeding tube that we missed the moment that Sloane's spiritedness crossed over to physical. Instead, I ranted those things to my friends and SIL when we reviewed the events. The truth is no cares why a child is a brat. Sloane is turning 2 and she surely is being 2. So as I sit her glowing that I did not plug her in for milk this morning at breakfast because she drank 4 oz. of it all on her own, I , also, sit here knowing in my heart that the terrible 2s and 3s are on their way. As I have learned to manage a feeding tube for the last 23 months, I now need to learn to manage unacceptable behavior for the next 23 months!

Secretly, I can not wait for the day that cuzzy gives Sloane a gentle shove. It will make me feel much better to know that it is even steven!! HA.

As for Closed For Business blog, I am still awaiting for our ped to call. It is mid-day. TO BE CONTINUED


7 hours later...the verdict is: Discontinue use of the feeding tube for 2 weeks. After one week, I call our ped with an update on the daily volume intake (today was 13 oz.) and in 2 weeks we go in for a weight check. At that point if all goes well, we will begin the talk of removing the mickey button altogether. I should not hook Sloane up to it if she has a day that she doesnt drink. We need to ride out the next 2 weeks to see what happens. It is all very exciting......Operation Fluids is entering its biggest battle yet! I am cautiously optimistic! As my hubby says, the party will occur when the mickey button is actually removed. Sloane did drink 4 oz. of chocolate milk this morning with her breakfast!! YAHOO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment