Sunday, June 24, 2012

Bag Lady

When I was teaching I would complain about being a bag lady. There was always a bag hanging off of each of my upper limbs. I had a school bag, a handbag, a lunch bag and the ever faithful treat bag which was filled with all the extras for my classroom. Some mornings the walk from my car to the building was a juggling act. I would curse the bags dangling from my arms!

What I have now realized is that being a bag lady as a teacher was a lot easier than being the bag lady I am now as a mom. The amount of bags that adorn my arms these days is ridiculous. We head down to our family beach house for the weekends during the summer. Today, we were only going to be there for the day....maybe 8 hours, but the pile of bags gave the impression that we were staying for the weekend. I am not sure which is worse...packing the bags, lugging the bags, or unpacking the bags. The bags take on a life of their own and organizing them is a job of its own.

Today, there was:
a diaper bag full of everyday essentials,
a lunch bag filled with Sloane's meds, Simply Thick and treats,
a beach bag stuffed with sunscreens, towels, hats and beach needs,
a sand toy bag overflowing with shovels, pails and sand toys,
a duffel bag bursting with clothes, shoes, and hygiene needs,
a shopping bag toppling over with food for lunch,
and a handled box overstuffed with our diapers and wipes needed for the summer!!

All of these bags I packed, organized and unpacked!! I am a bag lady and most days I can't keep them straight. I try to keep the bags somewhat packed with their essentials and then add in what we need for the particular day. I try to keep the bags in their designated places as to speed up the packing process. I try to put things in the bags as I think of it during the week because I know that "oh I need to remember this" will be a fleeting thought. The summer just started and I already wish I could take all the bags and torch them!

No comments:

Post a Comment