Friday, June 22, 2012

Anything For A Nap

I feel asleep mid blog last night. Does that give any indication as to how I am feeling this week?? Here is what I wrote before I drifted into dreamland:


So the truth be told, I am fighting to keep my eyes open and it's only 9pm. My hubby has been away all week and I am feeling the pain. We both miss him. Although we are used to him traveling, 4 days/nights is a long time. He is due home within hours.


The week has been fun! Sloane and I tend to be a bit fancy free and footloose while my husband is away so it was a busy few days. We had 2 beach days which were successes! Sloane is a beach bum just like her momma. YAHOO!


On the Operation Fluids front, one week down and one to go. I talked with our ped yesterday and she has happy with the amount Sloane is drinking. We will see her on Tuesday for a weight check and a discussion about the next steps. I have started to think about what life is going to be like without the tube. Of course I am not using it right now, but it's still there. It's presence in our lives is in plain sight. Im hoping the old adage will hold true "out of sight, out of mind".


After a good night's sleep, I am feeling better. Thank God!! Having Sloane, on my own, makes having a toddler even more exhausting. I have friends who are single moms by choice and I have friends who are single moms by tragedy. Either way, I have complete admiration for their journey. It is challenging at times when you are alone. 


Sloane, too, is feeling the effects of our fun filled week. She slept in this morning and collapsed into her nap this afternoon after lunch. She is a complete joy and such a good girl UNLESS she is tired. Then she becomes a tantrum throwing sweet child. HA! I am all about the naps. I like to force a power nap in the am if we have a busy day. I like to prolong the nap until after lunch if she needs a long one to recover from living the high life for days. I like to push an afternoon snooze if we have evening plans so she can enjoy her night. I like to let the nap develop as it needs to if we have nothing going on. I have become nap obsessed these days. 


Yesterday, I believe I have done the craziest thing yet as to not protect the importance of a nap. I needed stamps. Getting stamps is a pet peeve of mine. Probably because many times I need just one and I need it in a hurry. Buying stamps is a real pain in the ass. Getting Sloane out of the car for a 2 second errand aggravates me. I think stamps should be sold in drive up machines. And not just flag stamps! I think pretty stamps should be sold in machines too. I would LOVE that.


 Anyhow, I needed stamps yesterday and Sloane was snoring in the back seat after her long day playing on the beach. We were both covered in sand and sunscreen looking a bit dishevelled. It was 4:30 and I knew I only had 30 minutes to mail what I needed to. There was no time to drive home and get freshened up or wait for Sloane to wake up. This situation called for desperate measures or rather a crazy idea. I decided to drive to my neighborhood post office and look for the nicest person I could find going into the P.O. or someone I knew. At that point, I was going to hand that person $9.00 (which SHOCKINGLY I had in my wallet...I NEVER have cash) and ask him/her to buy me a sheet of pretty stamps. I pulled in the parking lot and waited. As Sloane snored her 1/2 snore, I glanced thru the parking lot. Within minutes a woman walked by who looked like she could sympathize with this mom's plea. I gave her my story after an "excuse me, can I ask you a favor." She laughed, said of course and trotted off with the money. Two minutes later, she returned with a sheet of Celebrate stamps and a giggle. Everyone was happy! Sloane continued snoring, I stamped my mail in time for an evening's pick up and I am sure the woman couldnt wait to share the funny story about the hot mess mom who approached her in the P.O. parking lot.....all for the importance of a nap!!

No comments:

Post a Comment