Friday, May 11, 2012

The Queen

The queen has spoken! Sloane and I went to see our ped on Thursday and she was thrilled to hear that Sloane passed her swallow study!! We chatted about the changes the food/nutrition clinic made (post: highs & lows). Our ped didnt disagree, she just has a different philosophy. Since she is Sloane's PCP, I am going to let her directives supersede the clinic. 


As a side note, I think it is important to say that no 2 parents are alike as no 2 peds are. They all vary in their approaches to things which is why I think it is important to pick a ped that you trust. For example: 2 of Sloane's playmates are having a different % of milk than she is having and 2 of them are not on vitamins where as Sloane is. I have asked the ped and her choices have nothing to do with Sloane and her journey. They are what all the children in the practice are doing. I picked my ped because I trust her and her approach to child development.


My ped does agree that we can cut out a feed. YAHOO!!! She said at this age, she recommends 8 to 12 oz. of milk a day which Sloane already gets in her 2 tube feeds. 


But she does not agree that the 2 feed's volume has to be increased to make up the missing fluids. YAHOO!!! YAHOO!!! She wants to keep the feeds at the volume they were at/not add anymore fluids by tube so Sloane HOPEFULLY gets naturally thirsty and wants to drink more by mouth. YAHOO!!! This makes sense to me, but I do think it is going to take Sloane some time to associate thirsty with drinking because she never relied on a bottle or sippy cup for nutrition. 


My ped's thought is we need to make her thirsty. We are going to little by little see if decreasing the volume of the tube feeds makes Sloane thirsty. YAHOO!! Fingers crossed


Lastly, my ped said as far as she is concerned, she is ready to make an appointment with our surgeon to have the mickey button taken out, but she will wait longer and see how Sloane does with drinking. YAHOO!!! The thought behind is now that it is safe for Sloane to drink, lets get her thirsty and drink.


I heard the ped's words, but I almost didnt let myself digest them. They were too HUGE to be able to swallow in an AMAZING way of course. ALL HAIL THE QUEEN!!!


It was a GREAT appointment! And Sloane was completely relaxed because no one touched her!! It was a nice way for her to see the ped. 


On the home front, I am sure my body is rejecting itself or something crawled up me and died!! LOL I had a lovely intestinal bug yesterday and today. I couldnt move. I am finally at 9pm/48 hours later feeling better thanks to some homemade chicken soup from one of the aunties!!


My hubby, on the other hand, is not feeling better. In fact, I think he probably feels horrible right now. He had surgery today. Nothing health concerning, but nevertheless surgery. He is recuperating at his mom's (around the corner) because we thought it was best for him and Sloane to have some time apart these first few days. 


So it has been a busy few days in our home!! As always, our circle of trust swooped in and helped make it all happen!! Every time I turn around, someone is ready and waiting to help. INCREDIBLE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment