Monday, May 14, 2012

Pop Goes The Balloon

After our snuggle this morning, Sloane hopped out of bed and as soon as her feet hit the floor she grabbed the leg of her pj and said "ohh, ohh." I could see that something was stuck. I bent down to feel what all the ohhing was about and sure enough it was her mickey button laying at the bottom of her pant leg. My initial thought was "oh shit, how long has this button been dislodged?" The stoma(hole) can begin to close up in 2 to 4 hours. I didn't go to immediate panic. It was more of mental laying out of the steps that would occur if the hole had closed up some.

I scooped Sloane up, grabbed a syringe and a glass of water to fill the new mickey button's balloon and headed to the changing table. In case you are wondering, it was 7:10am. Re-inserting a mickey button as soon as you open your eyes is not for the squeamish. As soon as I unzip Sloane's pjs, she touches her hole and begins with the ohh, ohhs while I examine the button that has clearly burst. Its balloon is blown apart. That is not concerning as the fact that it is very dried out. Which means it has been dislodged for a while.


Once I have everything in place, meaning the new button has been lubed up and my syringe is filled with water....i give it "please slide in" out loud and kiss Sloane on the nose with a "it's ok, mommy do". The new button glided in without a hitch. We cleaned up the left-over paraphernalia and headed to the kitchen for a breakfast. All by 7:20!!

So Sloane is sporting a new mickey button today which we hope keeps its balloon inflated like this for a while.

My hubby is back home with his girls! He is going to spend the rest of the week recuperating with us. Sloane is beside herself with excitement that her daaaddddyyyyy is home! As am I! We headed out tonight to get some new cups for Sloane. I think she is over the sippy cup trend and needs a new look. I found an Elmo cup that has a flip straw! She couldn't believe it. Im hoping that some new cups will give her a new interest in drinking. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment