Monday, July 9, 2012

Until We Meet Again

The week of 4th of July is so busy for our family. My apologizes for my disappearing act. We had a wonderful mini-vacation!! It proved to be exactly what the girls needed. Sloane and her cuzzy were 2 peas in a pod this past week. It was a week of what childhood memories are made of! They bathed together, napped together, played together, ate together and loved each other to pieces. Lots of photographs need to be developed!!

Sloane's mickey button site continued to heal well. We were diligent about keeping it clean and covered for 8 days. By Thursday, it started to look less irritated and more settled. Our assumption was that it was completely closed internally because there was no leakage at all, all week. So I decided to call Dr. K, (actually I texted her a picture of it....I am sure no-one is surprised by this). Ha. She called us and confirmed that the site looked very healed and it was safe to uncover it. We decided to wait one year and see if the outer skin around the hole/slit smoothes down at all before it gets treated. Dr. K gave us her well wishes, asked me to continue sending pictures of Sloane, complimented me on my mothering and lastly, she discharged us. Just like that! That was it! The mickey button, the feeding tube and its huge presence in our lives were gone.

I am not even sure Sloane knew she had a button or that is gone. She does keep pulling up her shirt, putting her finger on the site and saying "what's this?" We were calling it a boo boo when it was covered with a band aid. Now, I'm not sure what name will label it. I, also, keep pulling her shirt up to show everyone we see in our circle what it looks like out of pure excitement. Most people agree it looks like another belly button (ill post a pic soon).

It was a week of celebration. Their were visits to say congratulations, there was presents for Sloane to say you are a big girl, there were cards to mom/dad to say we're proud of you and there were phone calls and texts to say yahoo!! It was a very special week for us as a family. Sloane's ani, my SIL, decided to surprise Sloane with a Bye, Bye Button Elmo cake (the smile on her face was priceless as well as the red frosting that covered it minutes later).


Our circle of trust was beyond thrilled for this milestone!! And we are forever grateful for their presence on this journey.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you guys. What wonderful news. Sloane is an amazing little girl with just as amazing parents. Thank you for letting us in on your journey.

    \sorry \i have been \mia..right now I am in Italy and have sporadic internet!!!

    ReplyDelete