Friday, July 20, 2012

Memory Lane 7/27/10

Today, my baby is 2! I did a mental walked down memory lane all night last night. I was remembering the crucial hours of 10pm to 1:58am! The chain of events played thru my mind from the moment I was induced thru my placental abruption to the second I heard Sloane cry for the first time. My delivery was not at all what they prepare you for. It was a bit scary at times and I am thankful I was in the hospital on bed rest already. 


I was able to think about all the tenuous moments during my delivery because I was wide awake last night during those hours. Why? because Sloane has croup again! Don't ask, I have no idea how. We started the steroids last night but she still uncomfy throughout the night so I kicked my hubby to the curb and let her sleep with me. Before I go any further, I want to say that i have NO IDEA how families sleep with their children in bed with them. I did not sleep a wink last night. If I wasn't worried about Sloane falling out of the bed, I had a foot kicking me OR I was staring at her breaths. Not a wink!! There was something extra special about having her in bed with me on the night of her birthday. I was in awe of in exactly 2 years to the minute....how she has grown. It is incredible!


Her croup was better today, but we still took her to the ped for a check up. I was completely preoccupied with it today. I couldnt focus on anything other than the state of her croup. This happens to me every time she is sick. I paralyzed by the symptoms and the thoughts of what they could develop into. Sloane seemed a bit better tonight. She was well enough to devour the nose and eyes of yet another Elmo cake! We had a small gathering tonight to celebrate her real birthday. The hope is that by Sunday she will be 100% so she can enjoy her big bash!!


Back to Memory Lane......Email from 7/27/10. Sloane was one week old. 




hi...
we had our upper GI test this am. it was quite the scene and again i say thank god i have alan. we watched real time on tvs and saw what is happening inside my blueberries throat. it showed that sloane doesnt have an anatomical improper connection btw her windpipe and esophagus. which is good news bc if she did she would have needed surgery.
what it did show was that sloane is aspirating food/liquid into her lungs. so tomorrow we are having a swallow study. in preterm babies this is common although she is not a premmie she was early. anyhow, the swallow study will be an xray type and we will be able to see how different liquids are swallowed and if changing the thickness of a liquid can help her and also some speech or ot therapy to teach her how to swallow correctly..she has the suck down perfectly!! little piggie!! 
after we get those results, we are moving on to an ENT study hopefully on thursday. they are going to probe down her throat and see if there is an under-development of her upper airway..vocal cords, larynx, ???  which would be more concerning.
the team switched today..go figure. they switch monthly and we hit the turning point. the new dr. is very nice and i have to say both alan and i feel that we are starting to get some answers. we are hopeful that in weeks rather than months this issue can be resolved. once we have a diagnosis, we can move forward and get this baby home!!
so sloane decided to stay up all night last night!! thank god alan stayed with me and the nurse was amazing bc we did shifts!! she may have her days and nights confused..poor blueberry!! bc today she has slept all day too. i dont care though. this poor baby has been poked and prodded for days. long gone are my worries of giving her a shot...this baby has had more things done to her since saturday than some kids have done in years so im letting her sleep.
bc she hopefully isnt aspirating anymore into her lungs (there is still a chance even with the tube of food going directly into her belly that she has reflux and it aspirating on the burps on the way up..they will check that out tomorrow too)..the pneumonia should start to improve as well as her lung capacity. we are hoping to see improvement by friday. 

i realize this is alot of info and if you dont want to get update..let me know. its just easier this way bc we know you all are worried and love us to get everyone on the same page. alan is working tmw until the swallow study and we will take her to hasbro w/ the team together.
i am starting to become more comfy in my new surroundings. i think i may have made a reputation for myself...lol..in terms of advocating for sloane...oh well!! its my job!!
until the swallow test tomorrow afternoon
love, sloane's mommy and daddy (as we are known and forever be known) 






No comments:

Post a Comment