Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Crevice

I love when I say "oh, that will never happen." and it does. You would think I would learn!!

 Case in point.

On Tuesday, my sister in law had an Easter party for the girls. As a side note, my fabulous niece and daughter are exactly 9 months apart and get closer by the day so things are getting fun, fun, fun. My sister in law is like Martha Stewart. No joke. Some people think I am a bit of a Martha, but I am nothing compared to my brother's wife. At the Easter party, there was an Easter egg hunt, a table set up for Easter egg coloring complete with any decal you could dream of, custom bunny ears to wear and a bunny friendly lunch. Very Martha Stewart done!

As we were chatting with mimi (my niece's grandmother) and titi, I announced how well the big girl bed was going. We all talked about its placement in the room and how it was a perfect location for Sloane's bed. Mimi had mentioned that because children sleep in odd ways, falling out of a bed was commonplace. Not at our house was my response. Being sunken in a nook with the 2 side rails to boot, I stated it was almost impossible for Sloane to fall out of the bed. And I believed that until last night.

Let me paint the scene.  My hubby is traveling so last night was what I would call a night off! Like a mini mom vacation!! It looks a bit like this: a major dance party in our new kitchen (complete with tutus on our heads and music that isnt exactly Nickelodeon approved), a hodge podge dinner, lots of playing with no clean-up, a full laundry basket, dishes in the sink waiting for a rinse, a longer snuggle in bed than usual, and then the real fun begins!! I tucked Sloane in at 8:30 and my mommy time began! LOL A hot shower thats long enough for 5 people, some pampering in the bathroom, a chick flick rented on On Demand, non-stop pinterest browsing, a late night non nutritional snack, numerous walks around the house to check for intruders, an occasional glass of wine, a very late bedtime and the tv on all night!!

In between the snack and the wine, I heard it. BOOM! and then the cries. I was startled, but knew exactly what had happened! Sloane had fallen out of the bed!! As I rounded the corner into her room, I thought Id see her at the foot of the bed on the floor. But she wasnt there. What the f**k? ?? Where is she?? And then I saw her.

Sloane had fallen out of the bed in the smallest cervice possible. The front corner before the bed rail began. She was standing up, holding her lovey crying. I honestly dont even know what the boom was. Did she fall on her bottom, back, head and then stand up??? I dont think so because the cervice she fell into is 6 inches wide by 15 inches long. I measured it...I have been measuring things for our home reno for months so that seemed reasonable.
6 inches wide by 15...really isnt big enough for a fall?? I didnt understand it. It was odd!

Sloane was fine after I wedged her out of the crevice. Truly, she was almost stuck because it was so tight! LOL I gave her a snuggle, checked her out with lights on and then tucked her back in. I stuffed the crevice with pillows for any further mishaps. I wouldnt be honest if I didnt say, I checked on her 5 more times to be sure all was okay and considered taking her into bed with me.

Maybe now, Ill learn to not say "that'll never happen"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment