Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Normal

Yesterday, we had lunch with Sloane's Godmother and "G". Nothing special about that, it is a frequent occurrence. But, yesterday did mark a 2nd anniversary of lunch in this family. And we took a moment to laugh about how things have changed in 2 years.

When Sloane came home from the NICU at 8 weeks old, I didn't take her anywhere for days...actually for a month. It just seemed safer to be at home with her. I was scared to leave the house. I could control the germs, the elements, the feeding tube schedule, and Sloane's every move. I didn't even think about going out. I was fine. Sloane was fine. And it worked.

That was all well and good until Columbus Day 2010. The aunties are teachers too and had the day off so they plotted a plan to get Sloane and I out of the house. They thought it would be fun to do some outdoor shopping in the fresh air and have lunch. I rejected the idea immediately stating all the reasons why it wouldn't work.
There was the one hour feeding tube feed, the reflux that became aspiration because of the cleft, the germs floating around, and the fears. I knew as I was explaining my decline of the invite that I was going to be dragged to go anyhow. 30 minutes later we were on our way to our 1st day out!

My hubby, too, had the same concerns as I had in regards to taking Sloane out. So when he heard the plan, he decided to leave work early and join us for lunch or rather "get his arms around situation". I remember that day well. It all went swimmingly if you leave out the part that Sloane did a HUGE poop and I did not have enough wipes or a change of clothes. LOL Before you judge me, we never left the house and Sloane's poop was completely under control in the house.

I remember parking Sloane's stroller on the side of the table and hooking her up to the feeding tube for the 1st time in public. I can still see the scene in my head. There was a feeling of accomplishment in my heart on the ride home. I certainly didn't start going out for lunch after that day but I was more open to the idea.

After 2 years, lunch is a normal occurrence these days. Not only lunch, but a sippy cup in Sloane's hand while she eats. 2 years ago, I never thought that would happen!! Lunch is so normal that yesterday, while I was trying to help Sloane pour her marinara sauce on her pasta, she gently pushed my hand away and said "no momma, eat your own salad." My daughter, the child I sheltered for months and basically kept in the bubble of our home, is now up on the normal social etiquette of lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment