Monday, October 29, 2012

Down, Baby, Down

Sloane has been decreased to a 1/2 packet of Simply Thick to 8 oz of liquids. In my opinion, she is tolerating this consistency. In simple terms, we have decreased from 1 tablespoon of Simply Thick to 1 1/2 teaspoons. Sloane does have a runny nose so it has been a struggle getting her to drink. Right now, the varieties of liquids in my refrigerator could be used to hydrate a small village. I have been trying to keep Sloane's interest level high.

Somedays, I feel like most of my day revolves around how much Sloane is drinking, what she is drinking, and if she is safely tolerating what she is drinking. It becomes all encompassing some days. I spent the first 2 years of Sloane's life obsessed with her nutrition.... how much she could tolerate through the feeding tube, what she was eating safely by mouth, how many mls. of fluids she was taking in daily, and what consistency was safe. Now, that she is a toddler and is developing her taste buds, I take it personally when she doesnt eat of drink. Managing Sloane's daily nutritional intake was my job. When she doesnt drink enough or eat as much as she normally does, I get upset. My hubby says I hover or get all up in her section. He is right, but I cant control it. It translates, in a irrational way to me, that I am failing at my job. I have had a few meltdowns this week.

Sloane is tolerating the decrease in Simply Thick. We were scheduled to see Dr. Rahbar tomorrow, but our appointment has been changed to next Tuesday because of the weather. I am not bothered by this at all. It gives us more time to practice drinking our 1/2 packet of Simply Thick to 8 oz. I am hoping that her cold subsides and she perks up a bit so we can really push all the new fun liquids in our house.

Which brings me back to my fully stocked refrigerator! Thank goodness that our refrigerator is bursting at the seams because as of tomorrow morning it will be the only appliance in our house. YIKES!! Our kitchen is being torn out tomorrow to make space for our new floor plan. Its been all fun and games this past month....we have been without a living room and playroom, but hunkered down just fine in our kitchen space. Now without that space, the 3 of us will be confined to our bedrooms and bathrooms. It is going to be a very long month/s!!! W trust our contractor and his timing so we are hoping for the best. The circle of trust players have opened their homes to us as we move forward in this process but I would to keep Sloane as structured as I can. Im going to take one day at a time... as with the past 2 years it wont be one sip at a time, it is going to be nail at a time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment