Monday, April 22, 2013

A Parting Gift

Next week at this time, we will be gearing up for Sloane's swallow study and our appointment with Dr. Rahbar. I announced yesterday that during the swallow study, I am going to try to make Sloane perform on demand. I want her to take a huge gulp so I can watch the path it travels after the swallow. I am going to ask her to swish so I can see what happens when Sloane tries to manage that large swallow after the swoosh. And, lastly, I am sure we will all prompt her to do the normal "little sips" routine. I decided I want all the information I can get.

Mammie and my hubby think if all goes well, Sloane will get discharged from Dr. Rahbar and her swallowing therapy. There is a part of me that thinks that may happen and the prospect is exciting. At the same time, there is a part of me that hopes Dr. Rahbar is thrilled with her progress, but wants to see her next year again. I want his safety net!

I am not big on letting go. As a matter of fact, I dont let go of much. Letting go of Dr. Rahbar would be scary in regards to the "my child has a laryngeal cleft" voices in my head. I'd like to have a check in with him yearly for the next 10 years. LOL

Each time, we went to see Dr. Rahbar from when Sloane was 6 months old, we walked past a Boston~ish gift shop. I told myself on our 1st visit that I would buy myself a sweatshirt when our time at Childrens was over. Each time I walked passed them in the windows, I reminded myself that one day I would buy one of those Boston~ish sweatshirts as a reminder of our laryngeal cleft journey.

I wanted the sweatshirt in the spirit of an old college type sweatshirt. The one you wear so much for so many years that it feel like butter when you have it on. Thanks to my hubby I know what that feels like. I dont have one from my Alma Mater, but frequently steal his. As a mom of a Children's Hospital child, I wanted something to remind me. Each time I put it on, I want to be  reminded of where we were, how far we came, and why we are who we are as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment