Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Push Me Over With A Feather

We are home! All is quiet...thank the heavens above :) Yesterday was a long day that has already been forgotten about on some fronts.

For example, I decided since Sloane wasn't able to eat after midnight, I would give her a treat on the ride up to Children's and unveil with a big surprise the dvd player in our SUV that has been under wraps for almost 2 years. Her eyes were as big as saucers when she saw it and loved watching a flick on the way up....I actually think mammie and titi liked it too! They were sandwiched on the sides of Sloane. But that has already been forgotten about. Sloane never mentioned it when we got in the truck today.  

Sloane also had not mentioned yesterday's events either which is fine by me! I have forgotten about the bag of chocolate covered almonds I ate to make myself feel better and the fact that I sang Sloane's favorite song to her during "mask holding" instead of something random. Not ideal!

Sloane's scopes went smoothly. Now, the results not expected. You could have pushed me over with a feather when Dr. Rahbar said...."There's a couple of things." Internally, I was screaming WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTT!! Externally, I was staring at the great doc with eyes as big as saucers. A couple of things??? Already? And Dr. Palm isn't even here. Weren't you supposed to have one thing and she had another??? I scanned the consult room and seemed that my hubby, poppie, mammie and titi all had the same intent look on their faces. All thinking what I was....I think....although 3 out of the 4 would never admit it. My hubby was on my page!!

Well, we've got....2 for Dr. Rahbar and one for Dr. Palm. Which means folks, we have 3 things going. 3 separate things. Just in time for the 3 Wise Men for Christmas!!!

1. Sloane's cleft needs a 2nd surgery/repair/tweak. Box it up however you want. Sloane's cleft is still to open for Dr. Rahbar's liking and in spite of her amazing progress, she will be having the 2nd repair of it in the Spring of 2014. Out of 150 cases, she will be the 4th that needs a 2nd repair. That is largely due to the fact, that Sloane's cleft was a level 2 almost 3. Pretty big in Cleft Land.

2. Sloane's airway is narrower than the average child of her age. Not a major issue because she will grow out of it, but a problem because once she has her NECESSARY 2nd repair and gets another stitch to close the cleft up...her airway will be even narrower until she grows out of it. A top concern for Dr. Rahbar

3. Her lungs are significantly inflamed. Dr. Palm took some secretions to check out. The thought is that she is mirco aspirating b/c her cleft is still too open and those mirco aspirations are causing the inflammation. We wont' know if that is the case until the results come back. Now, her lungs are as well junky and juicy from the common cold season.

The plan is....Sloane will be put on an oral steroid mist to clear up her lung function for the short term and maybe then the long term. We will see Dr. Palm at the end of January to access our progress and see Dr. Rahbar in February to plan for Sloane's 2nd cleft repair.

Number 2 and number 3 were not shocking...but I will say I was not at all prepared for number 1. I did think in my heart of hearts that we had moved beyond our Laryngeal Cleft because Sloane has progressed so well and has remained relatively healthy.

Today, we spent the day doing nothing! It was like a day from way back when before we rushed out the door to school and work. A pj day. A "let's bake some treats" day. A quiet static free day. A day of processing that our journey continues.......

1 comment:

  1. Is there some way to contact you? I too, am journeying through a LC. Would love your perspective on a few things. My email address is melaniewanderson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete