Friday, December 6, 2013

Mask Holding

Should I be concerned that yesterday I dressed Sloane and ran out to pack the car and finish some final details before we headed up to Children's Hospital AND while I was out of her sight...she changed??? Because I am concerned. Apparently, the very casual and cute outfit I picked out for her wasn't what she had in mind!! When I saw her, after what was a matter of 3 or 4 minutes, I looked at her and said "what do you have on?" She looked me straight in the eyes with a certain twinkle and said "I changed my mind." I am concerned!! Is this possible at 3 1/2???

Pre-op yesterday went out without any major issues other than a very long wait and Sloane turning punch drunk. There was a question by all the medical professionals (we saw 3 sets of pp) as to whether or not to prescribe Sloane an oral steroid to open her airways a bit for her scope...but it was decided to wait until Monday to see how they sound.

Sloane knows what is happening. She has connected the dots. Does she understand beyond that there will be a mask that her momma will hold over her face that will smell like bubblegum and after she does the mask she will get a green Popsicle....I don't think so. Now, I told her none of those details. The lovely anesthesiologist, who chatted it up with her girlfriend about her new on sale finds at Karen Millen at Natick Mall, while we sat and waited right in front of her face did. I would like to thank her for giving Sloane all those necessary details yesterday!!! WTF!! It was the only thing she role played on the ride home with mammie and the first thing Sloane reported back to her father when he came home from work. Super Duper!!!

The approach I took yesterday was pointing out a very cute little girl in her adorable pjs watching the ball machine at the entrance of the hospital....saying to Sloane "look, lovebug, that little girl had a sleep-over just like the one you and me are going to have here next week. We are going to wear pjs" My approach was a bit less realistic than the one the anesthesiologist took....hahaha!

I am scheduled a stress free weekend in preparation for the "mask holding" on Monday! I am trying to keep Sloane low key OR maybe it is myself I am worried about.  I have visions of twinkling Christmas lights being adorned on my tree and brewing some hot chocolate with mini marshmallows on Sunday. Until then, it will be full steam ahead with a list of household chores to make me cry!! LOL

So Monday will be here before we all know it! I am very interested on what Dr. Rahbar has to say about Sloane's cleft as well as what Dr. Palm has to say about the aspiration markers. Let's all say a little Hail Mary that Sloane does not get a junkier cough  and does not get a fever as either will change Monday's plans....And as life would have it, what does Sloane report as soon as she gets home from preschool today..."momma,  Lauren has a fever. she was sick today." WTF!!! Lauren couldn't have gotten her fever on Monday. She had to pack in her backpack for today's unveiling???

No comments:

Post a Comment