Tuesday, December 11, 2012

On Our Own

Sloane continues to sprint around holding her sippy cup filled with water. Since her first sip on Thanksgiving, she hasn't looked back. Water hasn't lost its luster....its all she wants!

I have been sprinting myself all over the place..but it appears I havent sprinted over to my blog spot. My apologies. Our home renovation has taken on a life of its own and honestly, I can not keep up. I actually am scheduling in ordinary things to get them done in a timely fashion. A trip to target used to be a regular occurrence but lately I have to write it on the calendar so I dont forget. Managing a home remodel is a whole another job!! I had to take off from my regular job of being a mom today to do house things. Luckily ti-ti was coming to bop class anyhow, so it wasnt a huge deal when I slid out to run to Home Depot!! First time ever, I have given up time with Sloane for something else. Not a stellar moment, but I had to check some things off the to-do list.

I am embarrassed to say that there is no sign of Christmas in our home....there are only signs of Dustmas!!! Sloane has seen Christmas in other's homes, but not ours! We do read Christmas books every night if that counts. I feel bad, but right now there isnt much I can do. Maybe by next week, we will have some twinkling lights. Ti-ti did feel badly for Sloane today and bought her a snowman night light for her room. Sloane was very excited to say the least. I keep trying to tell myself that Sloane has no gauge of the aesthetic Christmas spirit so she will not remember that we skipped out on decorating this year. Our house is almost there.....almost finished. But I am sure long after all the saw horses are gone and the banging has stopped, the dust will remain!! I have never seen anything like it!!!

Sloane has been drinking non thickened liquids for 20 days. We had swallowing therapy on Friday with Kara to check in on our progress. I have to say I was very excited to share our new developments with Kara and her colleague. Sloane was very excited to have a snack from Kara. It was all she was talking about for 2 days. Kara has a cabinet of crunchy snacks...when Sloane sees it, its like she has hit the mother load!! LOL She loves Kara's snacks. And so we all piled in the car and made the drive. Not before, I SOS mammie for 3 ice cubes(cant make ice at the house), hard boiled eggs and grapes. It was a rough get up and go morning to say the least. One things was missing and no-one cared at all.......... there were no packets of Simply Thick in our bags!! Only one cup of ice cold water with 3 decorative plastic ice cubes floating in it thanks to nonni!

Now, would be a good time to have side note! The 3 of us would not have been able to survive this renovation without our families. When we are not home during the day, Sloane and I have been living at ti-tis. And when I say living...I mean living. Sloane naps in her bed!! We have been using nonni's house as our playground and her dishwasher daily. We even slept there last week for 2 nights. We crashed in like gang busters!! lol And mammie has been feeding us frequently. Needless to say, we are surviving our remodel because of our families. Thank you to all of you! And there is one more person who has lived through our home remodel other than the 3 of us...it's the machine! She has babysit our daughter in conditions that even we didnt want to play in. The machine is a machine!

When we saw Kara on Friday, we bounced into her office with water and a juice box in hand. Sloane snacked and sipped her way through our appointment. Kara was thrilled to hear that Sloane was handling liquids in their natural form. We talked about the occassional coughing and chugging. Because Sloane is not sick, the coughing does not pose a problem and we can assume that general coughing is a good sign. A sign showing that Sloane's larynx is more in tune with her swallow. The chugging is a mommy problem. I need to continue to remind Sloane to take small sips.

Because Sloane is handling the liquids well, we will not see Kara next month. In fact if there are no problems with Sloane's swallow and if she remains healthy, we wont see Kara until the swallow study on April 30, 2013.  Kara was pleased and sees no reason for us to visit with her if all stays copasetic. Soooo for the next 4+ months, we are on our own! No appointments with Dr. Rahbar and no therapy sessions with Kara. Sloane's laryngeal cleft is all ours. We own it and we need to manage through this winter.

Kara did say that this winter is the true test. Will Sloane remain healthy all winter? Will she hydrate herself enough if she gets sick? Will we need to thicken up her liquids this winter to help her remain healthy? I guess time will tell....

As if I didnt have a full plate, I am going to be starting the story of our journey for Dr. Rahbar's website within the next next. I am very excited to enlighten others parents about Sloane's crash landing into our world.




No comments:

Post a Comment