Monday, December 17, 2012

Our New Normal

Sunday mornings, we all get gussied up (NOT) and head out for breakfast! Sloane has her favorite spot. Seeing as though, we haven't had a working kitchen for months, we all welcome a fancy breakfast.

As we made our way out of the car, I thought WTF I forgot a sippy cup!! And as soon as that thought hit me, another one trailed almost simultaneously behind...Sloane doesn't need a sippy cup! 

She can drink out of the restaurant's kiddie cup without a thickener! There was an entire feeling of calm that came over me. I looked at my hubby and said "ha, I forgot a sippy cup, but we dont need one! Isn't that amazing?" To which he agreed. We both smiled our way thru the walk to the restaurant.

We have not known normal in regards to Sloane's nutrition until now. It is hard to let go of the old and accept our new normal! I am sure I will not let go of my little sips spiel ever! Sloane, now, tells me little sips when I drink. Part of me wishes she was with me on Saturday night because the headache I woke up with reminded me that I clearly didnt use little sips!! LOL

I think it is so funny that exactly what my mommy friends told me is true.

Don't worry about one phrase too much because as soon as you get it down....it changes and a new one begins!
Now, that we have the drinking of liquids in their natural form under control, we are starting to pull the reigns a bit on what Sloane drinks. Her desire for water has diminished the amount of milk she is drinking AND her cold symptoms have caused us to increase the amount of juice she is drinking. The equality among liquids is completely off. We started as parents who worried if our child would ever drink. Then once that happened, we worried about how she drank. Next, we overly concerned ourselves with the amount she drank. And now, we are on to what she is drinking. It never stops!! 

Today was the first day in a few weeks that I designated what would be in the sippy cup. There was no negotiation. Sloane loves to play Monty Hall. Ill try to convince myself with this new normal that I dont need to make a chart on the computer to keep track of how many ounces Sloane is drinking of milk, water or juice each day. I am going to try not to worry about this inequality of liquids phase too much as I am sure we will be on to a new one soon enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment