Monday, December 31, 2012

BINGO

I had 2 different ways of starting this post floating around in my head this afternoon. I thought maybe I would just type these words and nothing else:
Sloane has pneumonia. I assumed that that simple sentence would tell you where we are in our journey.

Then I thought I would post this picture and that would explain what is going on in our world.


Those are the 2 short stories. Sloane has pneumonia and Simply Thick is now BACK on our new kitchen counter top after being gone since Thanksgiving.

The long story starts quite rapidly with the onset of vomiting on Friday night, a spiked 104.6 fever on Saturday that became ongoing, move on to a doctor's visit on Sunday with no answers bc Sloane's ears, throat and lungs were clear, then there was more vomiting accompanied by a daughter that resembled a wet doll bc her fever was 103.8..... so today we had another doctor's appointment.

We had a mirage of tests. Some routine (strep), others heartbreaking to watch (cathetered for an UTI and flu swap). As all of them came back negative, the last one was a chest x-ray. We both were surprised at the thought because Sloane's lungs were clear both yesterday and today. But the on call doctor in our practice explained that Sloane is unable to take a deep breath as a child so he wanted to be sure. It made sense so we went with. Not without longing for our ped who we LOVE. How dear, she go away????

Off to the radiology lab we went. Sloane, by this time, was exhausted. She had been violated in too many places for a child in one year never mind in 10 minutes. I was starting to get silent...not a good thing. My hubby and I were dying for an answer because this "virus" was going on too long and was to nasty for our liking. We headed back to the drs. office after the x-ray to wait. He told us blood work was the last resort if the x-ray was clear before we headed to the hospital. And so we waited.....

BINGO was the word I heard when the door opened to our examine room. The doc was so pleased to have an answer to our search of diagnosis. BINGO....its pneumonia. You could have picked me up off the floor as my hubby did back on July 24, 2010. This doctor was happy to write us a prescription and send us on our way with all sorts of instructions. Sloane wasnt his patient so the fact that she has pneumonia after drinking non-thickened liquids for exactly 5 weeks was lost on him. I am sure if our ped was there, she too would have felt our pain.

I can not believe it. I'll assume that Sloane has been silently aspirating for the past 35 days and those tiny aspirations have settled in her lungs to cause pneumonia.  Right now, we are focused on getting Sloane better. I emailed Dr. Rahbar's office and Kara to notify them of our new developments. I am sure there will be a change of plans to come.

I have been worried about this day for over 2 years. Sloane has pneumonia.

No comments:

Post a Comment