Monday, September 24, 2012

Kicks in the ???

We have been keeping calm and carrying on. I emailed the medical team about the Simply Thick concerns. They all eased our concerns noting that the issues were in fact with preemie babies and full terms under 3 months old. We lucked out that our new SLP, Cara, was on the panel for Children's that addressed the Simply Thick FDA concerns. She will be calling us soon to discuss other thickener options as both of us are apprehensive to continue using Simply Thick long-term. I would have to say that this is just another kick, in the you know what, to speed up the thinning out schedule.

We officially started 7 oz. to one packet today! Right on schedule with Cara's new instructions. Sloane drank about 16 ounces throughout the day without a gurgle to be heard. We will use 7 ounces for the next 2 weeks.

 My hubby, the adventurous one, gave Sloane a milk box this weekend without any thickener added to it. Now, Sloane was beyond thrilled. She has sipped these milk boxes before for a sip here or there.  But many times, Simply Thick was added when she wasnt looking. On Saturday, daddy handed her the box to have on her highchair tray. Sloane was in her glory!! He monitored every sip to be sure each one was small..... to Sloane's dismay. The entire box was gone before lunchtime was over without a cough, gurgle or sound. I will even admit that I was in shock.

Now, of course, chocolate milk is more viscous. When I thicken it, I always use more ounces of liquid than I would for any other liquid. For example right now, we are on 7 ounces to one packet. If I was thickening milk, I would do 9 ounces to one packet. Watching Sloane drink the milk box this weekend was another kick, in the you know what, to speed up the thinning out schedule.


No comments:

Post a Comment