Monday, February 24, 2014

Exciting.....or is it Freaking Exciting?

There are many exciting things happening in our house these days. Sloane has started writing 3-4 letter words on paper ( I had nothing to do with it.....I'm actually shocked). She asks you how to spell...mom, dad, love and then she prints them!! Exciting!! 

Sloane  has also started to take over her daily beauty regimen...from brushing the teeth to creaming her face and dressing herself. This is also exciting news since I, too, have started a new: OMG, I am 41.....hello, fine lines skin care protocol! So now we both have plenty of time to beautify ourselves. 

Lastly, Sloane has increased her daily vocabulary skills which sounds exciting...but dont smile yet....bc her new vocab has seen those not so pretty F words...dropping something the other day, she says: momma, which word do you say when you drop something freaking or f**king???? This was not so exciting at all!! and thankfully, it hasn't become a daily occurrence. WTF!!!!

Something else that has been interesting...not exactly exciting is that Sloane has been challenging herself drinking. I had been pensive about blogging this new development since I wasn't sure what to make of it...but it is true. Sloane is trying to take bigger and bigger sips without losing control of the liquid and aspirating some. It was all going ok until last Friday when she took such a huge gulp that the fear in her eyes was burning at me! It was clear that she could not breath and she had scared herself to her core.

 I was sitting right next to her at the island not more than one foot away. She looked at me with her eyes the sizes of plums and reached for me....wanting me to do something! I picked her up and tipped her over. A trick I had seen Mammie do with my infant niece once when she too had drank too much water. Once I tipped Sloane over, she coughed it up and out. And then came the coughs and the sobs of cries. Sloane was beyond scared as was I.  She was hanging on me like a baby sloth does on a tree limb. Seconds later, Sloane said "I can breath." and I thought so can I now!!!

Sloane continues to challenge herself with a bit more success these past few days. You can actually see her concentrating with the swallow at times. We are seeing Dr. Rahbar on Tuesday. I am expecting this to be an express visit....the surgery is planned, a scope has been done and aside from a list of questions we have there isn't much to say until May 5th. 

I assume until then we will work on building Sloane's printing skills, erasing my facial lines and cleaning up Sloane's truck driver mouth!! LMAO!! There is one more exciting thing.....we are taking our show on the road! Turks and Caicos here we come. Sloane's parents have finally overcome their germ fears and have committed to taking our love bug on a plane!!! A much deserved, extremely needed and very exciting vacation will be occurring for us before Sloane's cleft is closed for a 2nd time!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment