Monday, November 4, 2013

From Toddler to Beast

Have you ever tried something that you were unsure of, but hoped for the best? That is exactly what I did on Friday. Sloane had extended day at preschool on Friday which means she is not picked up until 2:00pm. Add all the good-byes, chit -chat and the ride home on and we did not arrive in the doors until 2:40.

I watch Sloane carefully for the sleepy cues and it appeared she had probably surpassed them during art class and was on her 2nd wind. I decided to try something I never have to date. I decided to let her rest and not force a nap. It was close to 3pm and a nap at this point might cause Sloane's parents to fall asleep before her. LOL

Feeling confident in my decision, Sloane spent 45 minutes playing quietly on her bed with her babies. I made "the call" during that time to my hubby to forewarn him that there would be no dinner out on the town or Pinkberry tonight. We would be hunkering down for an early night-night because Sloane had no nap today. Instantaneously he responded...WHY??? I explained the situation and suggested it would be a good trail run to see if it was time to be less rigid about the nap. I was keeping committed to my decision.

That commitment lasted until 5:30 when a beast arrived in my house. It was already Halloween the day before so this clearly wasn't a costume...it was my toddler out of control! For the first 30 mins or so, I let it ride. But once 6:30pm showed up, I realized I had made a mistake. Sloane was beside herself with exhaustion and her behavior was a mix of screaming tantrums, open-fisted violence, and quarterback quality throwing. It was horrible and truly, I felt badly for her. Sloane could not get her shit together. She was at her worst constantly for the entire hour and 1/2. I was having trouble remembering my sweet daughter.

Now granted, she was in bed earlier than usual.....hitting the pillow (not the bed) finally at 8:00pm. An overtired child doesn't exactly fall asleep quietly and without a fight. HA! The trade-off of silence in our house at 8, rather than 9:15 wasn't enough for me to think I made the right decision.

Sloane slept thru the night...residing in dreamland for 11 1/2 hours straight. When she woke, I was smacked in the face again with the "you made a mistake" stick. Sloane woke up like a bear...growling and unhappy. Fifteen minutes after her eyes opened, I was longing for nap time again. LOL It has been confirmed. In order for there sunshine and rainbows in our home, there must be nap time. It makes everyone happier! I am very happy right now....cant you feel it...we are one hour into a nap!!! Yahoo!

Tonight, once our lady has hit the hay, we will be composing an email to Dr. Rahbar about December 9th. It is creeping up on us.. We have not changed our minds; Miss Wheeze has been creeping around the past 2 weeks. We have some pointed questions we would like answered before Sloane hits the OR.

No comments:

Post a Comment