Monday, February 18, 2013

1, 2, 3 Magic

We are all alive! Sloane did not kick the shit out of this weekend and we did not jump ship! Her behavior the past few days has been much better and more normal in my opinion. Certainly not angelic, but a bit more 2ish. I read 1/2 way through my new behavior management book and I am ready to set it in motion.

The very funny part about this is that I am a teacher. I taught learning disabled and behavior disordered children from 10 years before I started teaching elementary education. Throughout my teaching career, I developed a reputation. It wasnt one for being a warm and fuzzy teacher. It was one for running a tight ship, many days I am sure too tight. There was a schedule, there were expectations, and there was a very clear behavior modification system. Because I this, I am completely baffled how one 35 lb 3 feet tall toddler could get me as twisted as she does. I have encountered 10 year old behavior disordered boys who were completely fearful of me!! And my own child is testing me with a smirk across her heart shaped pink tinted perfect lips!!

After examining her behavior over the past 5 days, I have confirmed what I thought to be true.....Sloane's behavior is directly correlated to her sleep. Sloane needs sleep. She enjoys a 2 hour nap each day and 10-11 hour night's sleep. She likes her sleep on a schedule. It is clear that when Sloane does not have that amount of sleep for a number days she becomes an untamable wild child!!

I am a firm believer (I have been taught by the best) that an overtired child can not rest.

Meaning when Sloane is overtired:
she doesnt go to bed easily, but rather calls for us 4, 5 or 6 times before she drifts to dreamland,
she doesnt sleep throughout the night,
wakes up occasionally,
rises from a nap cranky,
and has trouble turning up her listening ears.

So, the big push to get Sloane caught up on some very much needed sleep (for her and her mom). I think we are almost there based on the fact that she didnt hit us this weekend, pull my hair, or throw anything AND that she went to bed tonight without calling one of us in her bedroom more than once!!

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled across your blog in the wee hours last night as I fueled my anxiety researching more and more about laryngeal cleft repair surgery. I skimmed a few posts and I saw my own life flash before me many times---the boxes of simply thick, the photo of the VERY FIRST juicebox, etc. I look forward to reading your story in my "spare" time!

    My son is 4 1/2. He aspirates with thin liquids--he has since birth. He has a history of respiratory infections, pneumonia, etc. He has had so many scopes to try to figure out why he aspirates and doctors found nothing.....that was until December 17, 2012. A type 1 cleft was FINALLY discovered. It evaded diagnosis all these years. Doctors had been stumped because without an anatomical reason for the aspiration, we were left with a suspected neurological reason for the swallowing disorder. We were told over and over again that he would "grow out of it." I never accepted that for a moment and kept fighting to get to where we are now. My son just had a second foam injection in his cleft in December and he passed his very first swallow study three weeks ago. Full surgical repair is scheduled for March 26th and I am petrified.

    Because this is such a rare condition, it is not only stressful, but beyond isolating. I am scared of every cough, gag, throat clearing. I know you understand......... I just wanted to share a little bit of my story and thank you for sharing yours. I get it. I truly get it.

    Best,

    Gina

    ReplyDelete