Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Chugging

I do not know where the last week went. I have become a nightly victim of online Christmas shopping and house remodel research. I thought about blogging every night, but it didnt happened. This time of the year always sends me for a loop.

This year, considering that we are living in a 2 room efficiency essentially.....you would think that I would be more organized since I have nothing to tend to in our house. Luckily, I still have my washing machine so I am able to obsess about our laundry still. The remodel is half over; they tell me. It truly hasnt been to bad. The major demo is done which is great!! Now, things will start coming back together. I THINK????

We havent had many visitors since we have no where other than our bed for them to sit. LOL!!! Cuzzy did stop by on Saturday with my brother and my SIL. It was extra fun because Sloane was napping so I got to love up my little munchin without my jelly belly around.

I know I have posted this before...but let me be clear. My niece is fabulous!! She, too, has a sassy personality and cheeks that could be nibbled. The girls, who are 9 months apart, are complete opposites physically! In size, shape and coloring. Hysterical!! There is one other big difference as well. One of them chugs liquids constantly........

My niece loves to drink! I have never seen anything like it. She sucks down 8 to 10 oz. of anything without stopping. On Saturday, S was ranting for a drink so Totsie (thats what she calls me) gave her one. I poured her a tall glass (straw cup) of chocolate milk. Without any hesitation, S sucked and sucked and drank all 8 ounces without stopping.

It didnt go unnoticed by myself or my hubby. I didnt say anything, but my hubby yanked the pink elephant across the room. Sloane is not able to drink consistently. She can take frequent sips, but she can not put her lips on the straw and keep sucking and swallowing the way my niece can. It has been a concern of ours for a while.

To be clear, we are thrilled with the progress Sloane has made. What's not to be over the moon about: in almost 28 months, Sloane has gone from a child who had a feeding tube for all liquids to a child who drinks liquids that only have a 1/4 teaspoon of Simply Thick to every 8 ounces. Sloane's progress is incredible! I do think if I had known at the beginning of our journey that we would have gotten this far in 2 years, I would have relaxed more.

My assumption is that as Sloane gets more efficient handling the consistency of liquids in its natural form, she will be able to drink faster without breaks and "ahhhs" between each little sip. I am not sure if this is true. I guess the question is: can laryngeal cleft kids consistently drink liquids without aspirating?? I am going to defer this question to Kara, our SLP, and see what she thinks.

Sloane has 1 more week of Simply Thick. On Thanksgiving, we are discontinuing use of Simply Thick and starting to introduce liquids in their natural form.

No comments:

Post a Comment