Wednesday, July 16, 2014

First I'll Be 4, and Then I'll Be 5

There is a whole lot of static going on around me that Sloane is turning 4! First off, let me say that I can not believe she is 4. I sound like every other mom in the whole world when I say...where did the time go??? It is astonishing how quickly infants turn into babies and babies turn into toddlers and toddlers turn into preschoolers!

Driving in the car last week.....Sloane told me after 4 she will turn 5 and then she won't need  mommy anymore!! My heart tore, it broke and a wave of sadness came over me. I explained that she will always need a mommy and then, in her ever so sassy way, she said...well, you don't have a mommy! And then the conversation took a whole another turn.

The static buzzing around me is because yes, in fact, at 4 Sloane is on her way into life without me and I am, unconsciously, having a hard time. My hubby keeps reminding me that the life I knew as a mom is going to change as Sloane enters full day pre-k.

I think being a mom is a full time job for every one of us. Unless you are presently one, I do not think you understand how non-stop it is in all aspects of life. But our world...it was a bit more....

A motherless first time mom blessed with a child with a medical need can cause tighter bonds...to say the least.

I am reeling with the wonderful positive changes in our family...Sloane's laryngeal cleft issues have for sure taken a back seat to normal 4 year old problems (like the deer tick I removed from her belly yesterday), our lives are no longer hanging on the next steps (we have done all we can for Sloane's laryngeal cleft to this point), I am not gearing up for weekly or monthly check-ins with any medical professionals, and when Sloane takes a gulp of water.....I don't hold my breath while she gasps for hers. Life is good!

But I am feeling a bit off-kilter....my whole life revolved around Sloane and her laryngeal cleft (good, bad, healthy or unhealthy) and now I will have more of a normal mom balance in my personal world which is throwing me for a loop.

The static has been outright directed and clear like: What will Supermom wife do now?? and then I know there have been some subtle whispers behind my back. I know that my feelings don't have everything to do with a job or time. Its more the big picture of the changes to come...the lack of complete control, the little buds of wings that Sloane has started to grow, and the fact that she is growing up physically and emotionally.

So come Sunday....at 1:57am....Sloane will be 4! Four years ago, I had no clue how motherhood would shape me, fulfill me and bring me life. I had no idea that I would turn into a helicopter mom. I had no forethought that years would flash by and I would have empty day-time nest syndrome by the time Sloane was 4.

There is an almost 4 year old in our squealing with delight over her approaching birthday.
There is an almost 42 year old mom aching inside because her baby is turning 4.
And there is an almost 39 year old dad managing us both........


No comments:

Post a Comment