Wednesday, May 14, 2014

One Week Down

One week after our arrival home from Children's from cleft surgery #2, Sloane went to school today. I was on the fence until I was putting her in time out and she said "Momma, I don't think you should do that. Can't hurt my throat." I can not make this shit up!!! It actually rolls out of her mouth!! Many days, my hubby and I shake our heads. We know we are in for it in years to come. Once she said those words to me, I realized it was time for her to go to school and resume our normal schedule.

Dr. Rahbar had requested a week of recuperation and we had in fact accomplished that. We had no major restrictions on Sloane's diet or liquid intake so all is going swimmingly in that area. He had asked us to limit the water she drank for the first few days....simply because it is the thinnest liquid and therefore the hardest to swallow for her newly lasered and stitched throat! The thinner the liquid, the more troublesome to the swallow of a laryngeal cleft child.  
It has not been easy to keep Sloane's activity level or voice on the low side! She is naturally a live wire ready to go! and a loud talker like her momma!! I wish this wasn't the case, but 2 girls in this house are louder than most.  I asked her teachers today for quieter play at recess.....and I found out that the sandbox was her choice! Perfect!! Sloane was excited to see her friends and they gave her the warmest welcome!

Many people have been anxious to know, what know.....what happens now that the surgery is done. As far as I know, 2 things are happening.
  • The first being that Sloane will stay on her inhaler for the next month to help with any residual swelling or secretions in her lungs. We will make an appt. with our pulmonologist for mid-June to discuss the plan moving forward.

  • We are having our follow-up scope on Tuesday, May 27th. Dr. Rahbar is going to take a look into Sloane's airway to check out his work. I am sure at that appointment we will talk about next steps for Sloane.

Beyond those 2 things, I am unsure what approach we are taking. Will there be a MBS (swallow study) to access the results of our 2nd surgery OR will Dr. Rahbar see us in 6 months to hear my day to day mother opinion Or do I dare to think (please let this not even be an option...I am feeling as though putting Sloane under 8 times in less than 4 years is enough for her little body) that he will want to scope Sloane under anesthesia again in months or a year to see what her cleft looks like?????

I am very happy to be back to normal life as the momma. The washing machine is turning, chicken is marinating, the vacuum got some use and the anxiety in the house is at a lull!!

No comments:

Post a Comment